Over 3 million Americans use wheelchairs on a daily basis. For occupational therapists and physical therapists alike, working with patients in this population comes with a numerous amount of challenges, as well as a unique set of protocols. Your curriculum in school should have covered the basics, but you might feel the need to polish your skills to ensure these patients are comfortable and functional and safe. Whether you’re looking for a refresher or completely new to working with patients who are wheelchair-bound, the Performance Health Academy has recently launched a Wheelchair Seating and Positioning CEU course with Dr. Kirsten Davin OTD, OTR/L, ATP, SMS, an internationally-known licensed Occupational Therapist, certified Assistive Technology Professional and Seating and Mobility Specialist.
Why You Need this Wheelchair Seating and Positioning Course
This 6 contact hour (0.6 CEU) course is open to both occupational therapists and physical therapists. Designed with these clinicians in mind, every attendee will learn the skills necessary to effectively perform seating and mobility assessments, troubleshoot existing seating systems and incorporate those skills to implement seating and positioning equipment optimization to increase patient independence as well as improve overall function. With a combination of lecture, live demonstration and hands-on labs, you will leave this course with the ability to:
- Confidently identify a variety of wheelchair seating and positioning issues for patients in a multitude of settings.
- Apply an arsenal of information on equipment options, cushions, backs, quick fixes and other seating and positioning products to better your patient.
- Identify the appropriate assistive technology devices required to meet the client’s needs.
- Describe a variety of common etiologies and pathologies which may necessitate assistive technology.
How much does the course cost?
The early bird gets the worm! Sign up 30 or more days prior to the course date and receive $50 off your registration fee:
- $200 early bird
- $250 regular registration
For the upcoming Ogden, Greensboro and Akron courses listed, we are offering special introductory pricing for this new Performance Health Academy course! The registration rate for these courses are:
- $149 for early bird
- $200 regular registration
To sign up for a course near you or learn more about the Wheelchair Seating and Positioning course, head over to the “Workshops” section of the Performance Health Academy!